[-]
Shout: -
Options
Smilies
Popup Shoutbox

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

About the Respawn Timer
So Nero just recently got his hands on Minecraft and has joined our Minecraft server (Yay!), and he noticed that we have a 30-minute timer whenever you die. He opened a petition, stating that there are zero disadvantages to lowering this timer to half of its amount. The following is my opinion on the matter:

THE BEGINNING: WHY WE GOT THE TIMER

We got this timer, because the server collectively agreed that to wait between respawns is a lot less painful than to collect all your diamonds you just would have dropped in lava. I wanted items to be kept on death, but I wanted the users to fear death just as much, but for different reasons. For obvious reasons, the admins don't have this timer so that they can always be around if there's a major situation.

WHY THE TIMER WILL NOT CHANGE

After an averaging of the user base's requests, the timer was set to 27 minutes (but rounded to 30 before the plugin was implemented), and this will not change. Lowering the timer makes death that much less of a fear. Honestly, I believe 30 minutes is a good balance between compensating the time it took for a new player to cut down a tree and a experienced player being killed in all his diamonds in the heat of battle (sign up for the FCA today!).

REPOSTING THE POLL IS NOT AN OPTION UNTIL BOTH MINECRAFT ADMINS AGREE

Because that's the way Dakota and I handle things. The only other way this poll will come back up is if I believe the decision is unanimous. Right now, there is a method of REMOVING the spawn timer in exchange for resources that you've gathered. An experienced player with resources won't die often, but he's willing to give up some of his finds just in case it happens, through the Orient Company's insurance agency. Because of this, there really isn't an excuse for people to want it to change, because it can be removed. I say that the want is not unanimous among users because I know for a fact that the State Farm employees don't want this, because it will lower the value of life insurance, thereby reducing profits or sales (or both), so there are two sides to this thing.

YES, I KNOW THAT IT SUCKS

Even though I don't experience it directly, the death timer does affect me when I have to wait on someone else I was dealing with to respawn. I do know that a lot of people die for really dumb reasons. That's why there are 3 grace respawns and the ability to get more.

In the near future, I plan to allow the purchase of multiple spawn credits for a compounding price (e.g. doubling price up to a maximum 3 credits), but I'm not sure I want that since another benefit of having the timer was the security in knowing that if you killed someone in battle, they couldn't come back and get you again until long after the battle was over, and offering more and more credits takes that away a bit, but it does give the rich something new on which to spend their masses of cash.

If you'd like to discuss this further, talk to me in private.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon